Tuition and Financial Aid

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a need-based grant, used to create part-time university jobs. Students that accept a position as a Federal Work Study are paid wages through this need-based grant, in exchange for working with Florida Polytechnic University.

How does a student qualify for Federal Work Study?

  • Must have a current year, error free, and verified FAFSA on file
  • Must meet standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Must have remaining financial need in their Cost of Attendance for the Academic Year
  • Must be attending at least part-time each semester (6 credit hours).

How many hours does an Federal Work Study student work?

Federal Work Study students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week (part time). However, the supervisor of your Federal Work Study position will advise the number of hours you will be schedule for.

How much do Federal Work Study students get paid?

Per Federal Policy, Federal Work Study must pay at least minimum wage of the State you are attending school. Florida minimum wage is currently $8.46. The position you apply for, or position supervisor, will advise you of the current pay rate.

How do I apply?

When positions are available, students can apply here.

How do I get paid?

Once you have started your position, you will be paid on a bi-weekly basis by the university. You bi-weekly pay will be based on the number of hours you have worked in that pay period.

What types of positions are available?

Depending on what has been posted to the job site, there are various forms of Federal Work Study Jobs that can be either On Campus or Off Campus. Some Department examples include:

  • Admissions Center
  • Cashier or Bursar
  • Laboratory Assistance
  • Academic Success Center
  • Student Development
  • Student Records
  • Off-campus Tutoring

Am I assured a position every year?

Unfortunately, no. Students must apply for their FAFSA every October 1 to ensure they that have financial need. Position availability may also depend on the amount of funding the Florida Poly receives each year. However, students that were awarded Federal Work Study in the prior year will be considered first for the same position.

I am unsure if I am eligible for Federal Work Study. Who can I speak with?

Students may either call 863-874-4774, email, or visit the Office of Financial Aid during business hours. Our dedicated financial aid representatives will be more than happy to assist you with any of your financial aid inquiries.